Thursday, October 22, 2015

Little Luxuries

Coming home and closing the door on the world to relax in my own home is a luxury I never take for granted. Just a few short years ago, that was only a dream for me.


Being surrounded by the objects I have collected in my travels, along with living orchids and fresh-cut flowers, puts me at ease.



The search has been on for the right lamp with an oval shade for some time. I found the perfect one this week to light the way to my breakfast nook. I love to use lighting to create a focal point or to encourage visitors into a room.




A beautifully scented candle can make my whole home feel warm and welcoming.



Live plants and stacks of books give me a connection to nature and make me feel happy.




A freshly made bed with "baby's bottom" soft sheets and a new magazine to read makes for the perfect evening! I love to use rich dark colored sheets that make me feel warm and cozy in fall and winter even before I turn on the electric blanket. 

These sheets just arrived this week. They really are called "Baby's Bottom"! They are the softest, most generous fitting sheets I have found. Even if you have a pillow top mattress, these will fit properly. Arthritic hands really hurt when you have to struggle with a fitted sheet that barely exceeds the mattress. These are a delight! I got them from Perfect Linens. This color is called espresso, and I knew that the color would go perfectly with my comforter set as soon as I saw them.
This is a $35 discount code for readers of Fifty, not Frumpy!NotFrumpy35 

What special touches make your home feel luxurious to you?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well stocked pantry and freezer. Well stocked linen closet with plenty of toiletries. New books / magazines. Plenty of bottled water and fresh fruit. Games for grandchildren.

Shelia said...

Love the darker sheets for fall/winter...light colored sheets for spring/summer. Electric blanket for porch-swing sitting in the middle of winter. Warm Apple Pie candles. Homemade quilts folded over chairs. Seasoned wood for the fireplace. Warm boots for playing in the snow with the grandchildren. Cozy home. :-)

Saucy Siciliana said...

The Apple Pie candles are amazing! I just made apple pie today, my daughter loves it. Beautiful pictures! What a well organized home! Do you want to come down here to Sicily and organize mine! You should see the mess, I'm so disorganized!

Lynn said...

I guess I never think of luxurious when I look at my objects. I think of homey and cozy. They make me smile when I look at them so thats the bottom line I guess. Our comforts. :)

emmapeelDallas said...

This really resonated with me. What a beautiful home you have! I love the dark, soft sheets for cooler weather, too, and a scented candle in a beautifully lit room always makes me feel relaxed and safe. I always look forward to your posts, and you never disappoint!

MOPL said...

I am from Australia and found your blog about 6 months ago. I really enjoy your sage advice on many things. I particularly liked your recent talks in the videos on the site. The pictures of your home reveal a giving and elegant lady at peace with the world. I love the linen by the way and thanks so much for your information on the blog.